Smartphone apps have changed the way we live our lives. Now, they’re changing the way we do business. This is especially true for small business owners. Apps can speed up tasks that use to to be time consuming, giving business owners the chance to ramp up their productivity at very little cost. In addition to our own appointment scheduling and invoicing app for iPhone and Android, here are six apps to give your small business a boost.
- Square is an innovative solution for small businesses to accept credit and debit card payments. Install the app, and the makers will send you a free card reader that plugs into your smartphone. From there, you can accept payments from all major credit cards with no annual fees. You only pay 2.75% per swipe.The app is great for small businesses that might otherwise lose sales due to not having a card reader. Where it really shines, though, is in its usefulness to contractors, technicians and other professionals who make frequent stops at the houses of their clients. With Square, you’ll never have to miss a sale again.
- CamScanner is, as its name suggests, a mobile document scanner. Use your smartphones camera and make backups of important documents such as bills and receipts. Again, this is an app that will be especially handy for individuals in the field. If a client’s signature is necessary, CamScanner lets you be sure that you won’t have to deal with the consequences of misplacing it. It’s a free app, and lets you save as a number of formats including PDF and Google Doc.
- QuickOffice Pro can increase your productivity even when you’re away from the office. It lets you create, edit and save files in mobile versions of the Microsoft Office software bundle. Excel files, Word documents and PowerPoint are all available here.QuickOffice also integrates with your Google Docs or Dropbox account so that you can manage your files seamlessly across the cloud. At $14.99, it’s definitely not a free app, but there is a trial edition to get you started. Give it a shot, and you might find that QuickOffice is something you can’t live without.
SplashTop Remote Desktop
- If just being able to manage and edit documents on the go isn’t enough, SplashTop Remote Desktop might be an app more suited towards your needs. Just install the companion desktop application on any computer, and you’ll be able to remotely access your computer no matter where you are. Your computer’s display is shown on your phone’s touchscreen, and you have access to a number of controls. Intuitive gestures let you quickly operate the mouse, manipulate programs and more. The application runs smoothly and is responsive, making it ideal if your computer is sometimes necessary in your small business.
- UPS Mobile takes the hassle out of shipping. Naturally, it lets you track any packages that you’ve ordered, but it provides so much more. UPS Mobile can be used to get a shipping quote and even email or print a label for a package. The app also contains an index of UPS store locations, letting you spend less time on shipping and more time running your company.
- Shoeboxed provides similar functionality to CamScanner, but the focus is on receipts. With Shoeboxed, you can take a photo of a receipt. The app then scans and logs the receipt. What really sets Shoeboxed apart, though, is its ability to extract information from the receipt and file it appropriately. Thanks to this feature, it’s easier to keep track of your company’s expenses. You’ll never have an excuse to go over budget again.
With these apps, you’ll be able to run your business quickly. You’ll find yourself spending less time performing tedious administrative tasks and more time growing your business. Your smartphone might just me employee of the month.
Simplifythis puts your office in your palm so that you are not ties to your computer. Check your schedule, add appointments, view clients details, and invoice clients – all from your iphone or Android phones. Learn more.
Drew C. works as a blog writer at carinsurancecomparison.com, where you can find a chart comparing car insurance. When he isn’t working, Drew enjoys coaching his son’s soccer team, biking, and spending time with his family.