I did not get a chance to write more about how you can use recurring appointments when we released this major feature. Here are some possible scenarios that will help you in using this feature.
1. Rescheduling an occurrence or a series:
If you have booked a recurring appointment and want to reschedule a particular occurrence, you can do so easily without modifying the recurring series. Just open the calendar view and click on the occurrence that you want to reschedule. You’ll notice an option to modify the selected occurrence or the entire series. Select the option which will launch the appointment edit form. Select new time and save. This will reschedule the regular occurrence. You’ll also notice the option to send cancellation email for regular occurrence and confirmation email for the new appointment.Also, as you would expect, your client and staff will get a reminder email for the rescheduled occurrence and not for the original occurrence.Keep in mind that if you happen to modify or reschedule an series, any particular occurrence that you may have rescheduled will get canceled.
2. Canceling a recurring appointment: You can either choose to cancel an entire recurring series, or a single occurrence. Just hover over one of the occurrence in the calendar view and you’ll notice a red ‘x’ on top right corner. Click on ‘x’ and you’ll get an option to either cancel the occurrence or the entire series. If you cancel an occurrence, your client and staff will get cancellation email for that occurrence alone. If you cancel the whole series, they will get one email for the cancellation of the series. Keep in mind that if you happen to cancel a series, any particular occurrence that you may have rescheduled will also get canceled.
3. Lunch hours: Blocking lunch hour is a good use of recurring appointments. To do so, create a new recurring appointment that occurs weekly. Select the staff for whom you are blocking lunch time. Make the recurrence occur every 1 week, and select all the work days of the week. This also gives you the flexibility to unblock or change the lunch hour on a particular day if you need to. Just double click on the occurrence that you want to change, and select “Edit this occurrence“.
4. Bi-weekly appointments: If you need to book appointments that occur bi-weekly, just create a recurring appointment that occurs weekly, and make it recur every 2 weeks. Your calendar will be scheduled with appointments occurring every alternate week.
5. Quarterly Appointments: For quarterly appointments, create a recurring appointment that occurs monthly, and make it recur every 3 months. Select the day of month that you would the appointment to occur on, and save to schedule your quarterly appointment.
I am sure I have not covered all the scenarios. Look for subsequent posts as we get more questions from our users and come across interesting usage of this feature.